HealthGuru is the web's leading destination site for health information.
1. Your Acceptance
Thank you for visiting www.HealthGuru.com and related sub-domains (the "Website", "Site," "Sites"). The Website is operated by Health Guru Media, Inc. ("Health Guru," "HealthGuru.com" "we," "our," or "us") with its place of business at 494 Broadway, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10012.
HEALTH GURU PROVIDES INFORMATION ONLY, NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENT AND DOES NOT ENDORSE, PROMOTE OR OFFER ITS OPINION ON ANY TREATMENT OPTION, PRODUCT OR SERVICE.
The Content on this Website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on HealthGuru.com!
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. HealthGuru.com does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. Reliance on any information provided by HealthGuru.com, HealthGuru employees, others appearing on the Website at the invitation of HealthGuru, or other visitors to the Website is solely at your own risk.
The Website may contain health or medical-related materials that are sexually explicit. If you find these materials offensive, you may not want to use our Website. The Website and the Content are provided on an "as is" basis.
- Although we may attempt to notify you when major changes are made to these Terms of Service, you should periodically review the most up-to-date version. HealthGuru.com may, in its sole discretion, modify or revise these Terms of Service and policies at any time, and you agree to be bound by such modifications or revisions. Nothing in this Agreement shall be deemed to confer any third-party rights or benefits.
- These Terms of Service apply to all users of the HealthGuru.com Website, including users who are also contributors of video content, photos, comments, survey answers, information, diagnostic quizzes, and other materials or services on the Website. The HealthGuru.com Website includes all aspects of HealthGuru.com, including but not limited to all content, products, applications, software and services offered via the website.
- The HealthGuru.com Website may contain links to third party websites that are not owned or controlled by HealthGuru.com. HealthGuru.com has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third party websites. In addition, HealthGuru.com will not and cannot censor or edit the content of any third-party site. By using the Website, you expressly relieve HealthGuru.com from any and all liability arising from your use of any third-party website.
3. HealthGuru.com Accounts
- A. In order to access some features of the Website, you will have to create a HealthGuru.com account. You may never use another user's account without permission. When creating your account, you must provide accurate and complete information. You are solely responsible for the activity that occurs on your account, and you must keep your account password secure. You must notify HealthGuru.com immediately of any breach of security or unauthorized use of your account.
- B. Although HealthGuru.com will not be liable for your losses caused by any unauthorized use of your account, you may be liable for the losses of HealthGuru.com or others due to such unauthorized use.
4. General Use of the Website Permissions and Restrictions
HealthGuru.com hereby grants you permission to access and use the Website as set forth in these Terms of Service, provided that:
- You agree not to distribute in any medium any part of the Website, including but not limited to video content and User Submissions (defined below), without HealthGuru.com's prior written authorization.
- You agree not to alter or modify any part of the Website, including but not limited to HealthGuru.com's video player or any of its related technologies.
- You agree not to access User Submissions (defined below) or HealthGuru.com Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Website itself or other explicitly authorized means HealthGuru.com may designate.
- You agree not to use the Website for any commercial use, without the prior written
authorization of HealthGuru.com. Prohibited commercial uses include any of the following
actions taken without HealthGuru.com's express approval:
- sale of access to the Website or access to the text, videos, or other content contained within the website and all related services on another website or through any offline channels;
- use of the Website or its related services for the primary purpose of gaining advertising or subscription revenue;
- placement of unapproved links on the Website to affiliate programs or third party websites or of any other text, links or graphics which aim to promote third party products, services, or entities not expressly permitted in writing by HealthGuru.com.
- the sale of advertising, on the HealthGuru.com website or any third-party website, targeted to the content of specific User Submissions or HealthGuru.com Content;
- and any use of the Website or its related services that HealthGuru.com finds, in its sole discretion, to use HealthGuru.com's Content or resources or User Submissions with the effect of competing with or displacing the market for HealthGuru.com, HealthGuru.com content, or its User Submissions.
- You agree not to use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, "robots," "spiders," or "offline readers," that accesses the Website in a manner that sends more request messages to the HealthGuru.com servers in a given period of time than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a conventional on-line web browser. Notwithstanding the foregoing, HealthGuru.com grants the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials. HealthGuru.com reserves the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific cases. You agree not to collect or harvest any personally identifiable information, including account names, from the Website, nor to use the communication systems provided by the Website (e.g. comments, email, etc.) for any commercial solicitation purposes. You agree not to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of the Website with respect to their User Submissions.
- In your use of the website, you will otherwise comply with the terms and conditions of these Terms of Service and all applicable local, national, and international laws and regulations.
- HealthGuru.com reserves the right to discontinue any aspect of the HealthGuru.com Website at any time.
5. Your Use of Content on the Site
In addition to the general restrictions above, the following restrictions and conditions apply specifically to your use of content on the HealthGuru.com Website.
The content on the HealthGuru.com Website, except all User Submissions (as defined below), including without limitation, the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, interactive features and the like ("Content") and the trademarks, service marks and logos contained therein ("Marks"), are owned by or licensed to HealthGuru.com, subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under the law.
Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be downloaded, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any other purposes whatsoever without the prior written consent of the respective owners. HealthGuru.com reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the Website and the Content.
- You may access HealthGuru.com Content solely:
- for your information and personal use;
- as intended through the normal functionality of the HealthGuru.com Service; and for Streaming.
*"Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of an audiovisual work via the Internet from the HealthGuru.com Service to a user's device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be copied, stored, permanently downloaded, or redistributed by the user. Accessing HealthGuru.com Content for any purpose or in any manner other than Streaming is expressly prohibited. Videos are made available "as is."
- User Comments are made available to you for your information and personal use solely as intended through the normal functionality of the HealthGuru.com Service. User Comments are made available "as is", and may not be used, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, downloaded, or otherwise exploited in any manner not intended by the normal functionality of the HealthGuru.com Service or otherwise as prohibited under this Agreement.
- You may access HealthGuru.com Content, User Submissions and other content only as permitted under this Agreement. HealthGuru.com reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the HealthGuru.com Content and the HealthGuru.com Service.
- You agree to not engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the Content other than expressly permitted herein, including any use, copying, or distribution of User Submissions of third parties obtained through the Website for any commercial purposes.
- You agree not to circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the HealthGuru.com Website or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations on use of the HealthGuru.com Website or the Content therein.
- You understand that when using the HealthGuru.com Website, you will be exposed to User Submissions from a variety of sources, and that HealthGuru.com is not responsible for the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of or relating to such User Submissions. You further understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to User Submissions that are inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable, and you agree to waive, and hereby do waive, any legal or equitable rights or remedies you have or may have against HealthGuru.com with respect thereto, and agree to indemnify and hold HealthGuru.com, its Owners/Operators, affiliates, and/or licensors, harmless to the fullest extent allowed by law regarding all matters related to your use of the site.
6. Your User Submissions and Conduct
- As a HealthGuru.com account holder you may submit video content ("User Videos"), photo's ("User Photos") and textual content ("User Comments") and answers to survey and other questions, tools or applications ("User Surveys"). User Videos, User Photos, User Surveys and User Comments are collectively referred to as "User Submissions." You understand that whether or not such User Submissions are published, HealthGuru.com does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any User Submissions.
- You shall be solely responsible for your own User Submissions and the consequences of posting or publishing them. In connection with User Submissions, you affirm, represent, and/or warrant that: you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize HealthGuru.com to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all User Submissions to enable inclusion and use of the User Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service.
- For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting User Submissions to HealthGuru.com, you hereby grant HealthGuru.com a worldwide, non-exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the HealthGuru.com Website and HealthGuru's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the HealthGuru.com Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the HealthGuru.com Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in User Comments are perpetual and irrevocable.
- In connection with User Submissions, you further agree that you will not submit material that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the material and to grant HealthGuru.com all of the license rights granted herein.
- You further agree that you will not, in connection with User Submissions, submit material that is contrary applicable local, national, and international laws and regulations.
- HealthGuru.com does not endorse any User Submission or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, and HealthGuru.com expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with User Submissions. HealthGuru.com does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights on its Website, and HealthGuru.com will remove all Content and User Submissions if properly notified that such Content or User Submission infringes on another's intellectual property rights. HealthGuru.com reserves the right to remove Content and User Submissions without prior notice.
7. Account Termination Policy
HealthGuru.com will terminate a User's access to its Website if, under appropriate circumstances, they are determined to be a repeat infringer. HealthGuru.com retains the right to revoke any User's account at any time at its sole discretion.
HealthGuru.com reserves the right to decide whether User Videos, User Photos, or a User Submission is appropriate and complies with these Terms of Service for violations other than copyright infringement, such as, but not limited to, pornography, obscene or defamatory material, or excessive length. HealthGuru.com may remove such User Submissions and/or terminate a User's access for uploading such material in violation of these Terms of Service at any time, without prior notice and at its sole discretion.
8. Digital Millennium Copyright Act
If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any User Submission or other Content infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") by submitting the following information in writing (see 17 U.S.C 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- and -
Health Guru Media, Inc.
c/o DMCA Submissions
494 Broadway, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10012
You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of the requirements of this Section 8(A), your DMCA notice may not be valid.
9. Warranty Disclaimer
YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE HEALTHGURU.COM WEBSITE SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, HEALTHGURU.COM, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE AND YOUR USE THEREOF. HEALTHGURU.COM MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THIS SITE'S CONTENT OR THE CONTENT OF ANY SITES LINKED TO THIS SITE AND ASSUMES NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF OUR WEBSITE, (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR WEBSITE, (IV) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR WEBSITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (V) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE HEALTHGURU.COM WEBSITE. HEALTHGURU.COM DOES NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY A THIRD PARTY THROUGH THE HEALTHGURU.COM WEBSITE OR ANY HYPERLINKED WEBSITE OR FEATURED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING, AND HEALTHGURU.COM WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. AS WITH THE PURCHASE OF A PRODUCT OR SERVICE THROUGH ANY MEDIUM OR IN ANY ENVIRONMENT, YOU SHOULD USE YOUR BEST JUDGMENT AND EXERCISE CAUTION WHERE APPROPRIATE.
10. Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL HEALTHGURU.COM, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF OUR WEBSITE, (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR WEBSITE, (IV) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE, WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR WEBSITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (V) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE HEALTHGURU.COM WEBSITE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT THE COMPANY IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT HEALTHGURU.COM SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR USER SUBMISSIONS OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
The Website is controlled and offered by HealthGuru.com from its facilities in the United States of America. HealthGuru.com makes no representations that the HealthGuru.com Website is appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who access or use the HealthGuru.com Website from other jurisdictions do so at their own volition and are responsible for compliance with local law.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless HealthGuru.com, its parent corporation, officers, directors, employees and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees) arising from: (i) your use of and access to the HealthGuru.com Website; (ii) your violation of any term of these Terms of Service; (iii) your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, property, or privacy right; or (iv) any claim that one of your User Submissions caused damage to a third party. This defense and indemnification obligation will survive these Terms of Service and your use of the HealthGuru.com Website.
12. Ability to Accept Terms of Service
You affirm that you are either more than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations, and warranties set forth in these Terms of Service, and to abide by and comply with these Terms of Service. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13, as the HealthGuru.com Website is not intended for children under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use the HealthGuru.com Website. There are lots of other great web sites for you. Talk to your parents about what sites are appropriate for you.
These Terms of Service, and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be transferred or assigned by you, but may be assigned by HealthGuru.com without restriction.
You agree that: (i) the HealthGuru.com Website shall be deemed solely based in New York; and (ii) the HealthGuru.com Website shall be deemed a passive website that does not give rise to personal jurisdiction over HealthGuru.com, either specific or general, in jurisdictions other than New York. These Terms of Service shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the State of New York, without respect to its conflict of laws principles. Any claim or dispute between you and HealthGuru.com that arises in whole or in part from the HealthGuru.com Website shall be decided exclusively by a court of competent jurisdiction located in New York County, New York. These Terms of Service, together with the Privacy Notice and any other legal notices published by HealthGuru.com on the Website, shall constitute the entire agreement between you and HealthGuru.com concerning the HealthGuru.com Website. If any provision of these Terms of Service is deemed invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such provision shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions of these Terms of Service, which shall remain in full force and effect. No waiver of any term of this these Terms of Service shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or any other term, and HealthGuru.com's failure to assert any right or provision under these Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. HealthGuru.com reserves the right to amend these Terms of Service at any time and without notice, and it is your responsibility to review these Terms of Service for any changes. Your use of the HealthGuru.com Website following any amendment of these Terms of Service will signify your assent to and acceptance of its revised terms.
YOU AND HEALTHGURU.COM AGREE THAT ANY CAUSE OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE HEALTHGURU.COM WEBSITE MUST COMMENCE WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES. OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
Date Last Modified: 3/15/2010
You can watch videos and read text on HealthGuru.com without having a HealthGuru.com Account. You can also contact us about a particular video without having a HealthGuru.com Account.
Certain other activities on HealthGuru.com - like uploading videos, posting comments, participating in surveys, rating videos, completing diagnostic quizzes, utilizing certain other health tool or applications - require you to have a HealthGuru.com account. We ask for some personal information when you create a HealthGuru.com account, including your email address and a password, which is used to protect your account from unauthorized access.
We may record information about your usage, such as when you use HealthGuru.com, the channels you visit the videos you watch, the survey questions you answer, the posts you make and the frequency and size of data transfers, as well as information you display or click on in HealthGuru.com (including UI elements, settings, and other information). If you are logged in, we may associate that information with your account. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. "Web Beacons") in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened by recipients.
Content Uploaded to Site
Any personal information, photo, or video content that you voluntarily disclose online (on discussion boards, in messages and chat areas, etc.) becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others.
If you submit personally identifiable information to us through the HealthGuru.com Sites, we use your personal information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the general and personalized features and functionality of the HealthGuru.com Site, and to process any correspondence you send to us.
Your account name (not your email address) is displayed to other Users when you upload photos or videos or post comments through the HealthGuru.com Site and other Users can contact you through comments. Any videos or Text that you submit to the HealthGuru.com Sites may be redistributed through the internet and other media channels, and may be viewed by the general public.
We do not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send commercial or marketing messages without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. We may, however, use your email address without further consent for non-marketing or administrative purposes (such as notifying you of changes or updates to the HealthGuru.com Site or for customer service purposes).
We use both your personally identifiable information and certain non-personally- identifiable information (such as anonymous user usage data, cookies, IP addresses, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) to improve the quality and design of the HealthGuru.com Site and to create new features, promotions, functionality, and services by storing, tracking, analyzing, and processing user preferences and trends, as well as user activity and communications.
We may release your personally identifying information if we believe such release is necessary to comply with the law (e.g., a legal process or a statutory authorization) , to apply or enforce our customer agreements, to protect our rights or property, to protect Website users from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful use of the Website, or if we reasonably believe that a danger to any person requires disclosure of such personally identifying information.
HealthGuru.com may offer its users online surveys and questionnaires that ask users for opinions and/or other information. Such surveys are completely voluntary. Any information submitted may be shared publicly or with other companies on an aggregate basis, but HealthGuru will not disclose any individual user's personally identifying information.
Certain features provided by HealthGuru.com allow users to send an e-mail to another person regarding our content. In such cases, HealthGuru.com will send the information to the person designated by the user and will list the user's e-mail address as the sender. HealthGuru.com will not use this information other than for the purpose of sending the e-mail requested by the user.
Information that is Publicly Available
Your account name (not your email address) is displayed to other Users when you engage in certain activity on the site, such as when you upload videos or photos or post comments through the HealthGuru.com Sites. Other Users can respond to your comments.
Any content that you submit to the HealthGuru.com Site may be redistributed through the internet and other media channels, integrated into derivative works created by HealthGuru.com and may be viewed by the general public.
You may, of course, decline to submit personally identifiable information through the HealthGuru.com Site, in which case you can still view videos, read articles, and explore the HealthGuru.com Site, but HealthGuru.com may not be able to provide certain services to you.
Third-party Advertisers, Links to Other Sites
HealthGuru.com does not provide any personally identifiable information to these third-party ad servers or ad networks without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. However, please note that if an advertiser asks HealthGuru.com to show an advertisement to a certain audience (for example, men ages 18-34) or audience segment (for example, men ages 18-24 who have viewed certain channels of content) and you respond to that advertisement, the advertiser or ad-server may conclude that you fit the description of the audience they are trying to reach. The advertiser may also use information regarding your use of the HealthGuru.com Sites, such as the number of times you viewed an ad (but not any personally identifiable information), to determine which ads to deliver to you.
If you wish to remove PII that you have submitted to HealthGuru, please send us an email requesting such removal to email@example.com. If you have questions or concerns about any of our information collection or handling practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date Last Modified: 3/15/2010
HealthGuru.com is the web's leading destination site dedicated to providing health information among 18 to 40 year olds according to comScore. To support our unique approach to providing health information we accept select advertising on our websites from partners who offer products and services that are relevant to our audience. Our Advertising policy exists to outline the forms of advertising we accept as well as guidelines for our advertising partners. We believe it is critical to our mission that users are only exposed to targeted offers in a clear and concise manner consistent with industry and user expectations.
"Advertising" or "advertisements" mean all forms of advertising, sponsorships and promotions for which we receive compensation.
HealthGuru.com does not endorse any products, services or companies.
HealthGuru.com has not evaluated the products and services advertised on our site. The appearance of advertisements is not a guarantee of those products, services or the companies that manufacture, distribute or promote such products or services. The fact that certain products and services are advertised on our site is not an endorsement of those products and services and does not influence the editorial content on our site. We clearly identify all advertising.
HealthGuru.com abides by established guidelines on how we identify advertising so that the user can differentiate between advertisements and editorial content. HealthGuru.com utilizes clear and consistent language and visual cues to distinguish advertising including the following descriptors for different types of advertising:
"Advertisement" is used to label the most common form of advertising on HealthGuru.com. The content of this form of advertising is controlled by the advertiser or advertiser network. Ads are labeled with the word "Advertisement" or "Ads" along the top, bottom or side of the advertisement as in the following examples:
In-Video Advertisements fall into multiple categories including: pre-roll advertisements, overlay advertisement and post-roll advertisements and are identified as such:
- Pre-Roll Advertisements are displayed before the start of the video and are marked with the word "advertisement" or "Ad" in the player.
- Overlay advertisements are displayed while a video is playing typically over the lower 1/3 of the video screen. These advertisements may or may not be displayed for a brief period of time and then fade into a small tab on the bottom of the screen.
- Post-Roll Advertisements are displayed after the end of the video and are marked with the word "advertisement" or "Ad" in the player.
HealthGuru.com allows certain pieces of editorial content and applications (like health tools and surveys) to be sponsored by companies or products that are relevant to the audience. For instance an STD testing company may sponsor a survey on STDs or a diaper company may sponsor a video on caring for newborns. In this case, the sponsored article, video, or application will be clearly marked as such with the text "Sponsored Content", "Sponsored Offer," "Sponsored Links," "Sponsor" or "Advertisement."
HealthGuru.com does not allow advertisers to influence the way search results are displayed on our site
Search results that are in response to search queries or keywords entered in search boxes on our site are editorially or algorithmically programmed by HealthGuru.com and its search vendors. Advertisers do not influence the order in which we present search results on our site.
HealthGuru.com identifies paid advertising that appears along side of search results or on other pages of our site.
Any paid advertising listings posted on search results or other pages of our site will be identified as such with a Sponsored Search, Sponsored Links or Advertisement label that clearly delineates our sites results from sponsored results provided by advertisers.
HealthGuru.com does not accept certain kinds of advertisements.
To help ensure that the advertising on HealthGuru.com is consistent with the stated mission of providing unbiased accurate health information, HealthGuru.com has adopted certain limitations on the types of advertising deemed acceptable.
Advertisers are prohibited from placing any advertising that:
- Contains false or misleading claims
- Promotes products that are illegal or whose distribution would violate the law
- Promotes the sale of firearms, ammunition or weapons designed to inflict serious bodily harm
- Promotes the sale of fireworks
- Promotes betting or gambling
- Promotes pornography
- For online pharmacies that do not comply with Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (VIPPS)
- Makes health claims that are not adequately substantiated.
HealthGuru.com will not share personally identifying information about its users without their permission.
We will post updates here at our discretion.
HealthGuru.com intends to review this policy regularly, and we will revise it periodically. Any changes to this policy will be posted here.
Date Last Updated: 3/15/2010